Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 9

This week a group of graduates from the ITCD program came to talk to us. Actually when most of them graduated it wasn't ITCD, and one was from the master's program, MSIT I think is what it's called. Even though none of them held positions that I'm particularly interested in, I still found their advice to be very useful.

One piece of advice they gave was to make an effort to learn as much as you can in your classes. In my classes this semester, I've only been doing just enough to get good grades. I'm not exactly sure how to go about learning more, maybe if I try and apply the concepts to the real world. I do find that I sometimes space out during class, and when I tune back in I've missed so much that I get lost. I'll start sitting closer to the front and find a way to keep my energy up to avoid this. They also advised us to network. Some of the graduates mentioned that they received most of their jobs because someone referred them, or put in a good word.

We also had a chance to ask the panel some questions. One question that was asked was, which class was the most useful in preparing for their career. All of them said the Instructional Design class, which I've never heard of before. I hope they still offer it here, because it seems they learned in that class that they could apply to their careers now.

No comments:

Post a Comment