Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 8

This week in class the career center coordinator came and talked to us about the career center and the resources they provide. One of the things that caught my attention was the career fair they hold in the Spring. They also provide different "quizzes" that would determine a good career path for you, or help you decide what's important to you. I also learned that there are a lot of different factors when choosing a career. The most important one is choosing a career that interests you. Others would be location and work hours. The coordinator and Dr. Tao also went over planning a career. I was confused in the beginning of class as to what "planning" a career was. But now I think it's choosing a career, and planning out the steps to get you there.

What are the specific actions you can do between now and the time you graduate to enhance your career opportunity?
One thing would be to get an internship and some real world experience in my career of choice, which is software engineering or video game programming. Another is networking, with my classmates and maybe some professionals already in the industry (although I haven't figured out how I would do that yet). Another is doing side projects on my own to improve my programming knowledge and skills. I'm actually working on a side project right now, an asteroids game clone. I'm programming it with C++ and SFML(a media library for C++).

No comments:

Post a Comment