Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Post for class last Thursday, September 30th

Last week, Eric Tao went over effective project management. Some key points to making a project successful is communication between group members, good documentation and understanding the goal of the customer. The three features of a project are time, features and cost. To better one of those features, meaning decreasing time, better quality of features or lowering cost, you have to sacrifice one of the others. Some things that could lead to a failed project are no communication, no motivation, poorly defined goals, lack of resources, managing workload and personality conflicts.

Pat Watson then gave a little spiel of the program he's in charge of, Digital animation and 3D modeling. The majority of his presentation was a demo reel of student work, which was really impressive. If I were a freshmen still deciding on a major, I would've probably picked that then and there. I don't think I have enough creativity to go far with 3D modeling and animation anyways...

Dr. Tao also went over what SMART goals were. SMART stands for specific, measurable, agreed upon, realistic and time-framed goals. I can see why a goal needs all these things to be an effective one. One example he used is a common new years goal I set for myself, to be healthier. That is very vague, and has no specific time frame. If I were to say, I want to eat at least one fruit and vegetable everyday for a month, that would be a smart goal. If that goal would actually change my eating habits after a month is another story though....

No comments:

Post a Comment