Thursday, September 23, 2010

CD ILP, Capstone planning and our college experience

This post is actually originally written on September 30th, but is for last Thursday, September 23rd. I'm a little behind, but since I take notes every class I'm always able to catch up on my blog posts. And for the sake of keeping this blog organized, I changed the post date.

Kevin Cahill came into our class to discuss the CD ILP. He stated that next fall the CD ILP is going to change dramatically, and that they'll be adding multiple 2 unit courses, some of which would be intro courses that teach skills students should have when taking courses that are currently offered. I considered minoring in CD, but decided that it might set me back a semester in finishing my degree. So I decided to think about taking just a few courses to broaden my knowledge. He also advised us to not take our upper division service learning and the ethics class in the same semester, so I plan to take my upper division service learning next semester.

Dr. Tao then talked a little bit about capstone again. He said it should be somewhat of a stretch from our usual course work, and it should be challenging. He also said the best capstone ideas are the ones the students come up with themselves. I'm still unsure of what I should do for my capstone. He then talked about his college experience, and what we should learn from our college experience. The one thing that stood out to me was when he was talking about building communication skills. When I hear communication skills, I think of public speaking, and speaking infront of a class. The kind of communication skills he was talking about was more of understanding people, where they come from and their point of view. This kind of skill would come in handy working with people who are different than you. Sometimes different personalities clash, but if you always try to understand their point of view, personality clashing will become rare.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that Dr. Tao talked about the capstone as well. I learned a lot more about it too.

    ReplyDelete