Thursday, November 4, 2010

7 Habits of a Successful person

This week in class Dr. Tao went over the 7 habits stated in a book that suggested one should have to be successful.

The first three, be proactive, begin with the end in mind, and put first things first, are the habits needed to achieve independence. I can definitely be a lot more proactive. I'm pretty good with beginning/keeping the end in mind. Ever since starting college, I've been making sure I took the right classes that would allow me to graduate on time. The first things first habit was very intimidating. It really made me realize that life is going to be about sacrifices and sometimes not all the rocks are going to be able to fit into my jar. I just hope I won't have to sacrifice anything important to me. Thinking about which priorities would be my big rocks and which would be my small rocks gives me a headache, too. That camping idea didn't sound like a bad idea, but maybe instead of 24 hours of isolation, maybe just a few hours on the beach would work.

The next three habits are used to achieve interdependence. I don't have too much to say about these habits. I understand all of them and I am definitely going to work at improving those habits. I guess I don't have much to say about these habits because I think I should put more effort in becoming independent before really committing myself to achieving interdependence.

The seventh habit is sharpening the saw. I feel like I have a long way to go in terms of this habit. For the physical aspect, I feel like I'm on the right track. I get about four hours of exercise a week, and I'm going to try and start eating healthier this week. For stress management, exercising works the best for me, but I also like listening to relaxing music or playing a few games of Starcraft 2. For the emotional aspect, I know I kind of have a long way to go. I'm not a very open person, but now I realize the importance of being open.

I did the personality report and there was a 2% difference between my top type, ESFP and ESTP. After reading the descriptions of both, I think I'm a mix of the two. There are traits of ESFP that I do not have, good people skills specifically, and part of ESTP that I don't have, doing good under pressure. But I am object oriented (ESFP) and I like to think logically and practically when solving problems (ESTP).

No comments:

Post a Comment